Zubin Mehta is a very popular name in western music. He is now the director of Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.
He was born in a Gujrati family at Bombay on 29th April, 1936. His family was Parsi. He is from a musical family. His father was the founder of Bombay Symphony Orchestra and Zubin’s first ‘guru’.
His Journey of Music-
At the age os seven he was first taught to play violin and piano. When he was in his teen age his father allowed him to lead sectional rehearsal at Bombay Sypphony. At the age of 18 he enrolled his name at Vienna State Music Academy. And from here he was completed his diploma as conductor. From 1961-1967 he was the director of Royal Liverpool Philharmonic. From 1962-1978 he was the music director of Los Angeles Philharmonic association.. In 1969 he was the musical advisor of Israel Philharmonic association.. In 1981 he was the lifetime advisor of Israel Philharmonic association. From 1978-1991 he was the music director of New York philharmonic association. He was a honorary member of Viena state opera in 1997.
Style of Work—
He was a dynamic interpreter of large scale symphonic music. His conducting is well-known as being colourful, energetic and powerful.
Honours and Awards-
- He received honorary doctorate in 1965 from Sir George William University.
- In 1991 he was awarded a special prize at Israel Prize ceremony for his unique devotion to Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.
- In 1999 he became Laurate in the Wolf Prize in Arts.
- In 1996 he was awarded with the ‘Padma Bhusan” and in 2001 “Padma Bibhushan.’
- In 2007 he got Second Annual Bridgebuilder Award at Loyola Marymount University.
- In 2008 he received Premium Imperial at Japan
- In 2011 Mehta received Hollywood walk of Fame and also Echo Klassik in Berlin.
- In 2013 President of India awarded him the Tagore Award for his outstanding contribution in cultural synchronization.
- In December 2016, the Israel Philharmonic broadcast that Mehta is to accomplish his occupancy as music director as of October 2019